Skip to main content

A Solo Adventure – 31/08/17





Today was much different from the past few days spent in Santiago. I went out to explore alone and see what the city had to offer outside of its usual commutes. So the first thought I had was, what better way to do this than visit the city’s second highest peak ‘Cerro San Cristóbal Hill’ (Tupahue as it is indigenously known) as I’d get to see the majority of the city and experience the native nature. Although I forgot to check the weather before setting out and found that I was rather overdressed. For a change it was relatively warm a bit too warm for trekking in a jumper!

 

Upon getting to the base of the hill I set about picking my trekking route, got my camera ready at hand and set off not having any idea of how long it would take me to reach the top. This was something I didn’t mind. The surrounding scenery just made you go in to awe and lose the sense of time itself. Every so often as I climbed higher the bird songs would change – get louder, cheerier and then ultimately quieter once I had walked past and caused a disturbance. I could have spent hours just climbing a little, stopping to admire the surroundings as they engulfed me but that was not my ultimate goal. I had to get to the top. To see the Blessed - Virgin Mary statue which stands at an impressive 22 meters and offers a completely unique outlook on to the urban jungle below. Although I was side tracked a few times upon my climb, a couple times by the Austral Blackbirds (Curaeus curaeus) feeding from cactuses and a few times more by Eared Doves (Zenaida auriculata) foraging. I wouldn’t call these inconveniences but rather thankful breaks. Once at the top, the view is indescribable, it’s something that you have to go and experience for yourself.


You would think that I would call it a day after this… but no, I decided to go and explore all the graffiti art available in ‘Bella Vista’. I don’t regret this a single bit although physically my legs wanted to break. Each block you walk through offers a unique style, some rather odd, some very questionable and some simply stunning. It’s a real show of the diversity experienced in Santiago. I found myself taking a photo virtually every step or appearing to look slightly lost and just staring at a wall to fellow passer-by’s whereas in fact I was admiring all the work put in to each masterpiece. Even small acts of vandalism on top of detailed work seemed to add another edge to everything.


After all of this walking you’d think I’d stop right? Wrong. I decided to go back to the local fish market (‘Mercado Central’) and finally try the fish they had to offer. With my slightly better Spanish (compared to my no Spanish at the start of the week) I picked out a fish, got it filleted and even managed to get it for a much cheaper selling price than originally wanted by the fish monger. Now, this is where I finally decided to call it a day otherwise I wouldn’t be a functioning human being for tomorrow’s day.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Data And Hikes – 11th September

Success! My first experience of hot water has occurred. It’s odd how such a simple things can feel like a gods send when you haven’t experienced them in a while. On this ‘high’, I could feel my self ready to tackle everything that the day had to throw at me. The canyon was slowly becoming my second home, the giant slopes provided much welcomed shelter from the rays of the sun as we collected our traps and quickly stored our data. We couldn’t help but have a sneak peak of what the cameras had seen and it was magnificent. The videos of many bird species including a female variable hawk, Geranoaetus polysoma ,  and the multitude of Atacama Toads, Rhinella atacamensis , was simply breath taking. Such spectacles are rarely ever witnessed let alone recorded producing such a unique sensation of awe when viewing the data knowing no one else has seen it. With a trip back to base for lunch being done with, we set back for the canyon to reset our traps. This time with a...

All Good Things Come To An End – 13th September

Test day has finally arrived. Nervous was not even the right word, trying to find even a bit of space to prepare for the test throughout the week was not the easiest thing as everything was so fascinating that it was hard to not immerse yourself in it. I mean could you blame me? A desert with more plant life than you could ever imagine not to mention the sheer callosity of animal species present, the true scientist in myself finally made itself apparent. The urge to find out what, why, how had become my sole purpose. Never the less, we made our way to the research base and prepared our selves for the 9am ID test. An hour and a half was given to us (this was extremely generous) to answer 30 two-part questions, which in total would make 20% of our overall grade. The test itself was smooth sailing, all of the questions related directly to what we had seen and experienced although a couple interesting questions were thrown in like in any test. What was most surprising was the a...

The Akodon And The Research Field – 10th September

Getting pretty used to the freezing mornings and boiling hot days now. The constant routine of wear as many layers as possible followed by the self questioning of why did I put so many layers has become part of daily life. The one thing that I have yet to get used to is the freezing cold showers! But never the less a busy day always lies ahead… something that I adore. With the usual morning over and done with my small group set off once again to the canyon to collect out traps. The thought of actually catching something in the Sherman traps was all but too exciting. Once arrived we headed straight for our last placed camera trap and our first placed Sherman trap (if any mammal was caught we didn’t want it roasted alive under the ever increasing warmth of the sun).   We continued to work in this fashion until all the traps that we laid out were collected.   One after the other, the Sherman traps seemed to be empty. Yet with each new trap our hope never went down, the t...