Skip to main content

Modern Art and a Supermarket – 1/09/17





So I tried to do something different today –to look at modern art. The one thing that I probably despise most of all. I never really understood why it’s valued so much in the art world. I’m pretty sure that even my pet budgie could do a better job than some of the artists. But anyway, today might be different right? I might learn to appreciate it more…

Having finally downloaded a map of Santiago, I set about following a pretty straightforward route to ‘Museo de Arte Contemporaneo’ constructed in 1947. The building itself is lovely, I was a bit shocked to see graffiti all over the old architecture but then again it is everywhere so I should have grown more used to it by now. Upon entering the building I was pleasantly surprised that the current exhibits were free to view, even more surprised that the inside was pristine compared to its defaced exterior. Here I spent a bit of my time questioning why exactly I had chosen to view modern art as some exhibits only confirmed my dislike. There were a few though that genuinely intrigued my attention, particularly a 1954 photographic series by Jorge Brantmayer which depicted a multitude of old, decrepit statures arranged to face the camera in derelict scenes creating an unusual beauty.  A central exhibit composed entirely out of cubes also caught my attention. The simplicity and minimalistic look create a rather calming atmosphere. Maybe it’s due to the symmetry and the fact that not one square is misaligned. All in all, after this visit I can confidently say that I don’t dislike modern art as much, at least some elements of it.



Upon my venture home, I stumbled upon the first supermarket that I had seen since my time in Santiago. Excited wasn’t even the right word! Here I quickly gathered all the things I’d been meaning to buy but never did and that’s when I found my self in the fresh fruit and veg isle. Here there was a multitude of fruits that I never even knew existed. I was most intrigued by ‘chirimoya granel’, further proof of how different the local produce is. After much debate with myself whether to buy this mysterious fruit or not, I decided to go with the latter and save the experience for another time. I wasn’t feeling as adventurous today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Data And Hikes – 11th September

Success! My first experience of hot water has occurred. It’s odd how such a simple things can feel like a gods send when you haven’t experienced them in a while. On this ‘high’, I could feel my self ready to tackle everything that the day had to throw at me. The canyon was slowly becoming my second home, the giant slopes provided much welcomed shelter from the rays of the sun as we collected our traps and quickly stored our data. We couldn’t help but have a sneak peak of what the cameras had seen and it was magnificent. The videos of many bird species including a female variable hawk, Geranoaetus polysoma ,  and the multitude of Atacama Toads, Rhinella atacamensis , was simply breath taking. Such spectacles are rarely ever witnessed let alone recorded producing such a unique sensation of awe when viewing the data knowing no one else has seen it. With a trip back to base for lunch being done with, we set back for the canyon to reset our traps. This time with a...

All Good Things Come To An End – 13th September

Test day has finally arrived. Nervous was not even the right word, trying to find even a bit of space to prepare for the test throughout the week was not the easiest thing as everything was so fascinating that it was hard to not immerse yourself in it. I mean could you blame me? A desert with more plant life than you could ever imagine not to mention the sheer callosity of animal species present, the true scientist in myself finally made itself apparent. The urge to find out what, why, how had become my sole purpose. Never the less, we made our way to the research base and prepared our selves for the 9am ID test. An hour and a half was given to us (this was extremely generous) to answer 30 two-part questions, which in total would make 20% of our overall grade. The test itself was smooth sailing, all of the questions related directly to what we had seen and experienced although a couple interesting questions were thrown in like in any test. What was most surprising was the a...

The Akodon And The Research Field – 10th September

Getting pretty used to the freezing mornings and boiling hot days now. The constant routine of wear as many layers as possible followed by the self questioning of why did I put so many layers has become part of daily life. The one thing that I have yet to get used to is the freezing cold showers! But never the less a busy day always lies ahead… something that I adore. With the usual morning over and done with my small group set off once again to the canyon to collect out traps. The thought of actually catching something in the Sherman traps was all but too exciting. Once arrived we headed straight for our last placed camera trap and our first placed Sherman trap (if any mammal was caught we didn’t want it roasted alive under the ever increasing warmth of the sun).   We continued to work in this fashion until all the traps that we laid out were collected.   One after the other, the Sherman traps seemed to be empty. Yet with each new trap our hope never went down, the t...